Fempro 2.5mg is used to treat postmenopausal women of breast cancer. It is used mostly in cases that are in the advanced stage and also as an additional treatment when breast cancer is detected in the early stages along with tamoxifen. These tablets are used as the last resort that is if all other treatments such as surgery or radiation have not helped. It is also prescribed to prevent the relapse of breast cancer.
Dosage And Administration
Fempro 2.5 mg tablets are taken with a glass of water, before or after a meal. The dosage depends on the condition of the patient and the doctor will decide the duration. Even if the patient feels better it is important that it is not discontinued as in some cases the patient may have to take the tablet for a few years. When the cancer is in the early stages, letrozole should not be taken for more than five years.
The medication has to be stored in a cool dry place and in temperatures below 25 degrees C. It is not recommended for children or adolescents.
There are certain side effects that patients experience when taking Fempro 2.5 mg and they are as follows:
- Hot flushes
- Hair loss
There are a few severe side effects that maybe encountered and in such case a doctor has to be consulted. They are:
- Vaginal bleeding and dryness
- Loss of appetite
- Weight gain
- Mood swings
- Joint pain and stiffness
- Bone degeneration
- Increase in cholesterol
Every drug is not suitable for everyone and medicines such Fempro 2.5mg need to be taken only under the supervision of a doctor. Avoid taking this medication if you are:
- pregnant or breast feeding
- allergic to letrozole or any of the other components of the tablet
- suffering from liver or kidney ailments
- taking drugs that have interactions with Fempro 2.5mg
Drug Interactions with Letrozole
There are some drugs that interact with letrozole and sometimes the interactions could be life threatening. Listed below are a few.
- Ethinylestradiol diminishes the effects of letrozole by pharmacodynamics antagonism. Further, no estrogen or products containing estrogen should be given along with this treatment.
- Tamoxifen and Eluxadoline also decrease the effect of this medication.