Tiromel 25mcg (Liothyronine Sodium) is a medicine from a group called thyroid hormones, used to treat patients who suffer from hypothyroidism. It is a man-made form of a hormone T3 that is actually produced by the thyroid gland. When the thyroid does not produce enough of this hormone then drug is prescribed. This hormone is necessary to regulate the body’s metabolism and energy levels.
Dosage and Administration
After a blood test is done, the doctor will be able to decide the dosage of Tiromel. Any change can be recorded only after a couple of weeks. The dosage can be increased depending on how the patient responds to the medication. Only under the doctor’s guidance should you start taking these tablets. Regular blood tests are necessary.
In most cases, patients suffering from hypothyroidism are asked to take a 25mcg tablet once every morning. The tablet should be taken with a glass of water. Noticeable changes may occur only in about two weeks.
Tiromel 25mcg may have some side effects such as:
- Hair loss
- Muscle cramps
- Excessive sweating
- Weight loss
Tiromel 25mcg may cause some severe side effects such as:
- Chest Pain
- Irregular heartbeat
- Menstrual changes
- Muscle weakness
If the patient suffers an allergic reaction to Liothyronine Sodium, then a doctor must be consulted immediately. Skin rashes, hives, difficulty in swallowing or breathing are some of the signs of an allergic reaction.
The doctor must be informed if you:
- are taking any other medicines and if you are allergic to any drug
- are taking herbal medicines or supplements
- are pregnant or hope to conceive
- are breastfeeding
- have any kidney disease
- are a diabetic
- suffer from any cardiovascular conditions
- have an underactive adrenal gland or pituitary gland.
Drug Interactions with Tiromel 25mcg:
- If taken with weight loss pills it could cause a fatal reaction.
- Bleeding could occur if Warfarin, the anticoagulation drug, is taken with this medicine.
- If calcium and iron are taken along with Liothyronine sodium, the body will not absorb it. Hence, it is best to avoid any milk product two hours before or after taking the tablet.