Eukroma Cream 4% is a topical ointment that is used to treat hyper pigmentation and to induce localized skin lightening. The active ingredient in this ointment is Hydroquinone and this is used to treat dark spots (also known as liver spots), chloasma, melasma, age spots and freckles etc.
Eukroma Cream 4% works by reducing the amount of melanin that is found in the skin. This melanin is responsible for the brown color of our skin. The cream gradually lightens the spots by controlling the amount of melanin that is produced in a particular area.
Dosage and Administration
Eukroma Cream 4% is to be used as a test patch on a small area of your skin before you begin treatment. If there is no adverse effect of using this ointment within 24 hours, you can begin your treatment.
The cream is to be applied twice a day, every day on clean and dry skin. It is to be applied as a thin layer and only on the affected area. Rub it into the skin till the ointment is absorbed. Visible lightening usually takes place in 4 weeks. However, you need to consult your doctor if you do not see any results within 3 months. Wash your hands thoroughly after each application and be sure to avoid your eyes and mouth. If you need to apply a non cosmetic product to your face (like moisturizing lotion or sunscreen) you need to wait for several minutes after the application to do so. It is also suggested that you apply the medication at the same time every day. Do not use more of the medication than what your doctor has advised you to.
Eukroma Cream 4% (Hydroquinone) may cause side effects in some patients. These could be:
- Dry and flaky skin
- Burning or a stinging sensation
- Skin rash or mild irritation
- Hives, swellings or any other signs of an allergic reaction
Contact your doctor is any of these signs are persistent.
Eukroma Cream 4% is a well tolerated ointment. Even so, there are certain precautions that you must exercise while you use this medicine. Do not:
- Use this ointment if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or trying to conceive
- Apply the ointment anywhere near the mouth, eyes or any mucous membrane
- Use the ointment anywhere other than your hands, arms, face and neck
- Expose your skin to sunlight or tanning salons. Your skin becomes very sensitive when you use this ointment. Always wear a sunscreen and protective clothing
- Use for more than 3 months
- Apply on broken / inflamed skin
Drug interactions with Hydroquinone:
Use of hydrogen peroxide, benzoyle peroxide or any other peroxide along with this ointment causes temporary skin darkening. Wash your skin with soap and water to remove staining.