Modalert 200mg (Modafinil) is available in tablet form and its active component is Modafinil. It is indicated for patients suffering from different types of sleep disorders namely daytime sleepiness and/or narcolepsy. It has been shown to improve narcolepsy symptoms, short-term memory loss as well as help in reducing incidences of daytime sleep attacks. It increases and improves working memory, concentration, learning capacity, alertness, mental performance, energy levels, improved attention span and concentrated focus in some users.
Dosage and Administration
Modalert 200mg tablet is taken along with a glass of water in the morning as directed by your physician.
The adult dosage is 200 mg, taken once in the morning, but can be taken in split doses of 100 mg in the morning and afternoon as instructed by your doctor. In certain cases, the doctor may recommend a higher dosage. It is not advisable to take the tablet after noon as it can cause difficulty to stay asleep during the night.
Modafinil has been shown to have various side effects which are listed as under:
- shortness of breath
- swelling in the mouth, face or throat
Rare side effects experienced by patients include:
- dry mouth
- abnormal vision
- blurry vision
- unusual tiredness
- indigestion, diarrhea, constipation
- swollen hands/feet
Modalert 200 mg (Modafinil) is prohibited for patients with a history of cardiovascular or heart valve problems or is allergic to this medication.
Prior to starting a course of this medication, it is advisable to inform your physician if you:
- are currently pregnant
- trying to get pregnant
- are breastfeeding
- are currently on any monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI)
- have had a past episode of acute myocardial infarction or heart attack
- have hypertension
- have chest pain
- have liver or kidney problems
- have history of mental illness
- have a history of substance or alcohol abuse
It is not advisable to drive or operate heavy machinery while on this medication, unless advised by your physician and consumption of alcohol is strictly prohibited.
Drug Interactions with Modalert 200mg:
- Contraceptives or birth control medications
- HIV medications like indinavir or ritonavir
- Phenobarbital, carbamazepine, phenytoin or other epilepsy medications
- Amitriptyline, Citalopram or Fluoxetine used in anxiety or OCD symptoms
Amlodipine, Verapamil and/or other calcium channel blockers.