Axepta 40 (Atomoxetine) comes in 10-tablet strips of 40mg strength. It is prescribed to patients diagnosed with ADHD or control attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. It functions through affecting the brainÍs neurotransmitters by focusing the patientÍs attention and concentration and reducing various outside distractions. It has also been found to be useful in treating other neurological disorders.
Dosage and Administration
Axepta 40 (Atomoxetine) is prescribed to be taken twice daily, in the morning and in the evening unless advised otherwise by your treating physician. It should be taken orally with a glass of water, but can be taken with or without food. The tablet should be swallowed whole and it is not to be bitten, broken, or chewed to prevent full absorption by the body at one time. The appropriate dosage and length of treatment may vary from patient to patient and will depend on how individual patients respond to this therapy.
Axepta 40 is usually well tolerated; however, patients have noted some side effects which include:
- gastrointestinal problems
- nausea and vomiting
- loss of appetite and weight loss
- mood changes
- rash and increased sweating
If any of the symptoms persist or worsens, it would be advisable to consult your doctor or seek emergency medical attention.
It would be advisable to inform your doctor prior to starting Axepta 40 (Atomoxetine) if you:
- are pregnant
- trying to conceive
- are breastfeeding
- are using any other medications, prescription or non-prescription
- are using herbal products, vitamins or supplements
- have any allergies
- have a history of mental disorders like bipolar disorder, depression or suicidal ideation
- have a history of cardiac problems
- have a history of liver disease
- have a history of hypertension
If any of these conditions persist, it is advisable to stop using the medication and consult your physician.
It is not advised to consume alcohol when on this prescription. Avoid driving a car or operating heavy machinery while on this medication.
Drug interactions with Axepta 40
This drug may interact with:
- monoamine oxidase inhibitors or MAOIs
- drugs that affect the monoamine concentrations in the brain
- anti-hypertensive medications such as dopamine and dobutamine.