Ampicillin (Ampicillin) is a capsule containing 250mg per capsule. The medication is prescribed for infections such as pharyngitis, bronchitis and sinusitis, which are caused by certain bacteria. It can also help with the treatment of gastrointestinal infections resulting from contaminated water and food. There are also other uses for Ampicillin such as treating infections of the urinary tract, the skin, ear and lungs.
Dosage and Administration
Ampicillin 250 mg is a capsule that should be swallowed whole with a glass of water. It should be taken only when the stomach is empty. Hence, take the capsule only an hour or two after meals. It is important to drink lots of water and other fluids when taking Ampicillin.
Dosage is dependent on your condition and will be advised by your doctor. it is recommended to take the capsule at even intervals. Even if symptoms disappear or reduce, it is necessary complete the full dosage of medication.
Ampicillin 250 mg causes certain side effects such as:
- stomach upset
- temporary skin rashes
- redness and inflammation of tongue
- irritation in throat
Less common side effects you may experience include:
- difficulty breathing
- vaginal infections
- stomach cramps and pain
- tightness in chest
- blood in stool
- vaginal discharge
Ampicillin should not be used by patients allergic to penicillin antibiotics, patients with mononucleosis or those who are about to receive or have received oral vaccine for typhoid.
Before taking this medication, you should inform your doctor if you:
- are pregnant, or trying to become pregnant
- are breastfeeding
- are taking any other prescription or over-the-counter medicine
- are taking any dietary supplement or herbal preparations
- have any allergies
- have or have had in the past any diarrhea or stomach infection
- have a severe allergy to cephalosporin antibiotic
Ampicillin 250 mg may interfere with or reduce the efficacy of pills for birth control. Make sure to use an additional birth control alternative to prevent pregnancy. Do not take the medicine you have diabetes since it can interfere with glucose test result readings.
Drug Interactions with Ampicillin 250mg:
- Tetracyclines such as doxycycline may decrease the efficacy.
- Allopurinol may increase the extent of skin rash already caused by the medicine.
- The side effects of anticoagulants such as Warfarin or Heparin as well as Methotrexate may be increased.
- It also interacts with acid reflux drugs such as Nexium, Prevacid and Prilosec.
Other drugs- Allopurinol, Bupropion, Tiagabine, Doxycycline and Tramadol.