Lynoral 10mcg is the synthetic version of estrogen, the female sex hormone. It prevents ovulation, thickens the lining of the uterus and thickens the mucus in the cervix. Ethinylestradiol is also used to manage the symptoms of menopause like breast cancer, dysmenorrheal, post-menopausal osteoporosis, female hypogonadism and dysfunctional uterine bleeding. It also helps to regulate the menstrual cycle and acts as a birth control pill or contraceptive.
Dosage And Administration
Lynoral 10mcg is taken with a glass of water or milk. When it is used to treat cancer, then it has to be taken thrice daily for a period of 3 months. Otherwise it is taken on a cyclical basis. You are expected to take one every day for twenty one days and then it is stopped for seven days. After this you will have to repeat the cycle.
It should be taken only after consulting the doctor.
Ethinylestradiol has a few side effects some more severe than the others. The less severe ones are as follows:
- Stomach cramps
- Stomach upset
- Changes in appetite and weight
- Discoloration of the skin
- Changes in menstrual flow
- Tenderness of the breast, enlargement
- Spotting or bleeding between menstrual periods
- Painful or missed periods
- High blood pressure and blood sugar
The more serious side effects are:
- Unusual bleeding
- Severe stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
- Problems with your vision
- Mood swings
- Difficulty in swallowing or breathing
A doctor has to be consulted if any of these symptoms persist because they are of a more serious nature and has to be taken care of immediately.
All medicines do not work the same way for everyone. Before the doctor prescribes Lynoral 10mcg for you, make sure he knows if you are:
- Breastfeeding or pregnant
- Allergic to any drugs
- Wearing contact lenses
- Going in for a surgery
- Using other medications
- Suffering from certain medical conditions
- Taking supplements and vitamins
If you are using any tobacco products, it is important that you cut it down because there is the possibility that the drug’s effectiveness will decrease.
Drug Interactions with Ethinylestradiol
- Ethinylestradiol reduces the effectiveness of diuretics and anti-hypersensitive drugs.
If it is used as an oral contraceptive, then the use of any antibiotic will decrease its effectiveness.