Arkamin (Clonidine) is a tablet form of Clonidine containing 100mcg per tablet. Clonidine is prescribed to treat people with very high levels of blood pressure, also known as hypertension. The drug works by easing the blood vessels, helping free blood flow. The medicine works to eliminate hot flashes, ADHD (Attention-Deficit-Hyperactivity-Disorder) and menstruation pains.
Dosage and Administration
Arkamin (Clonidine) 100 mcg is a tablet that should be swallowed whole with a glass of water. It needs to be taken when the stomach is full. It is crucial to consume lots of water and other fluids when taking Clonidine.
Dosage is dependent on your condition and will be advised by your doctor. Generally, the recommended dosage will be 100mcg taken once or twice daily. Even if symptoms disappear or reduce, make sure to complete the full dosage of medication. This is especially important as incorrect stoppage of medicine intake could result in withdrawal symptoms manifested as shakes, headaches, confusion and spikes in blood sugar levels.
Arkamin (Clonidine) 100 mcg brings in certain side effects such as:
- upset stomach
- burning sensations
- dryness in the mouth
Less common but more serious side effects you may experience include:
- uneven or fast heartbeat
Arkamin should not be used by patients with allergies to Clonidine.
Before taking Arkamin (Clonidine) you should advise your doctor if you have:
- coronary insufficiency
- chronic failure of the renal tract
- cerebro-vascular disease
Clonidine may worsen effects such as dizziness. Do not operate heavy machinery, drive or perform activities that necessitate high concentration levels. The medication may result in symptoms of dizziness, which can endanger such activities. In addition, intake of sedatives or alcohol may increase the side effects of the drug. Make sure to be on a diet that is low in salt to prevent increase in blood pressure.
Drug Interactions with Clonidine:
- Medications for blood pressure, also known as beta blockers. These include Acebutolol (Sectral), Betaxolol (Kerlone) and Atenolol (Tenormin)
- Medications for heart ailments such as Digoxin (Lanoxicaps, Digitek and Lanoxin)
- Sleeping pills of the likes of Ambien
- Calcium channel blocking medications used for the heart, such as Amlodipineæ(Norvasc), Felodipine (Plendil) and Diltiazem (Cardizem)
- Antidepressant medications such as Clomipramine (Anafranil), Tricyclic antidepressants, Doxepin (Sinequan) and Desipramine (Norpramin)
- Medications for allergies
- Anxiety medication such as Valium and Xanax
Medication for seizures such as Levetiracetam (Keppra) and Phenytoin (Dilantin)