Fincar 5mg contains Finasteride which helps to inhibit the work of the enzyme, type II 5-alpha reductase.æ This enzyme is responsible for converting testosterone to DHT.æ DHT is the androgen that is responsible for development of the prostate gland and is also known to cause prostate enlargement. æWhen there is reduction in DHT in the blood, the prostate shrinks and allows you to urinate without stress and without urine retention.æ Fincar also helps to reverse baldness in cases of male pattern hair loss because DHT also causes hair loss by shrinking the hair follicles
Dosage and Administration
Fincar (Finasteride) 5mg should be taken with a full glass of water with or without food.æ It should be taken for as long as it is recommended by the doctor even if it is for as long as 6 months.æ The tablet should not be bitten or chewed, it should be swallowed whole.æ You should not take a double dose in case you have missed one of the doses.
The most common side effects associated with Fincar 5mg are:
- Decreased amount of semen
- Impotence which is temporary
- Low libido
- Breathing difficulties
- Cold sweats
Less common side effects you may experience include:
- Breast enlargement or gynecomastia
- Breast tenderness
- Hypersensitivity reaction with swelling of lips and face
- Testicular pain
- Itchy skin
- Unusual changes in weight
Fincar (Finasteride) 5mg should not be handled or taken by pregnant women or women wishing to conceive.æ This is because of the potential harm to a male fetus.æ It should also not be taken if you are allergic to any of the components of the medicine.
Before taking Fincar 5mg your doctor has to be informed if you
- Are on nonprescription drugs, herbal supplements, or dietary supplements which could possibly interact with this drug.
- Are pregnant or hoping to be pregnant.
- Have other medical problems like blockages in the urinary tract or abnormal liver values.
Drug Interactions with Fincar:
- Should be used carefully by people with liver disease because finasteride is metabolized in the liver
- Fluconazole may increase blood levels and the effectiveness of finasteride, so both medicines must be used under the supervision of a medical doctor.