Finast 5mg decreases the DHT or natural body hormone and thus arrests the growth of the prostate in BPH. This helps men who find it difficult to urinate or who need to frequently. Men suffering from BPH find this helps them urinate with lesser strain. It also reduces the chances of having to do a TURP or transurethral resection of the prostate. It can be taken for the treatment of male pattern baldness and as HRT or hormone replacement therapy in different doses.
Dosage and Administration
Finast (Finasteride) is taken with a glass of water, with or without food. The dosage is usually once per day to be taken at the same time every day. This tablet is not to be crushed, bitten, or chewed. Instead it should be swallowed whole. The dosage and length of treatment depends upon the treating doctor but if prescribed it should be taken regularly.
The most common side effects associated with Finast 5mg are:
- difficulty swallowing or breathing
- cold sweats
Less common side effects you may experience include:
- testicle pain.
- breast tenderness, swelling, enlargement, or discharge
- itchy skin
- skin rash
- weight loss or gain
Finast 5mg is not to be used by women especially those who are pregnant. Further, it is not to be taken by those who are allergic to it or by children. It is specifically not used for prostate cancer prevention.
Before taking Finast, you should inform your doctor if you:
- are pregnant or trying to conceive
- are breastfeeding
- are taking other prescription or over-the-counter medicines such as herbal drugs or dietary supplements
- have any allergies to foods, substances or medicines
- have prostate cancer, any problems with the bladder such as nerve problems or muscle problems or a bladder infection
- have blockage or narrowing of the urinary tract
- have any medical history including liver disease
Drug Interactions with Finast 5mg:
- Hytrin or terazosin is known to have a minor interaction with finasteride.
- Diltiazem and fluconazole may increase the effects of finasteride by increasing the blood levels, so monitoring by the doctor is needed for safe use of both medications.
- Generally this drug is well tolerated and reactions are slight and transient.