Dutas 0.5mg is a drug used to treat enlarged prostrates (benign prostatic hyperplasia ? BPH) and sometimes male pattern baldness ? alopecia, in men. The active ingredient of this medicine is Dutasteride which is a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor. The medication stops the conversion of testosterone into dihydro-testosterone in the prostrate.
Dutas 0.5mg is very effective in treating the symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia, namely weak urine flow, frequent or urgent urination and acute urine retention. It also helps reduce the risk of surgery of the prostrate.
Dosage and Administration
Dutas 0.5mg is always prescribed by a doctor and the dosage will depend on the patientÍs symptoms and how well he reacts to the treatment. However, the recommended dose is 1 capsule, once a day.
The capsule should not be chewed, split, crushed or dissolved. It is to be swallowed whole with an adequate amount of water. The duration of treatment varies between 3 to 6 months and is required for the patient to see the maximum effectiveness of the drug.
Dutas 0.5mg (Dutasteride) does have side effects. Your doctor will tell you that these are generally not cause for concern. The side effects include:
- Difficulty in ejaculation
- Breast tenderness or enlargement
- Decreased semen during intercourse
- Decreased libido / sex drive
- Erectile dysfunction
If you find that these symptoms are persistent or they seem to get worse, consult with your doctor immediately.
There are also some rare but serious side effects that need immediate medical attention. These are:
- Discharge from the nipples
- Peeling of the skin
- Lumps in the breast
Dutas 0.5mg may not agree with everyone and hence you need to keep your doctor informed if you:
- Suffer from allergies to any medication
- Are currently taking other medication. Even vitamins and supplement should be mentioned
- Have any other existing medical conditions
- Stop treatment without consulting your doctor first
- Donate blood for at least 6 months after treatment. This is to prevent a pregnant woman getting your blood which has the medication in it.
This drug is meant only for men. It is never prescribed to women. If you are pregnant or are trying to conceive should not touch these capsules. The medicine is absorbed through the skin and it is harmful for the fetus.
Drug interactions with Dutasteride:
- Side effects increase if taken together with Verapamil or Diltiazem ? medication for high blood pressure
Side effects also increase if taken with Indinavir or Ritonavir ? medication for HIV, Nefazodone ? medication for depression and Ketaconazole or Itraconazole ? medication for fungal infections