Dutagen 0.5mg contains Dutasteride as the active ingredient. The drug is used as treatment for adult men suffering from benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) also known as an enlarged prostrate. It works by stopping the production of dihydro-testosterone, from testosterone, in the prostrate and could also lower the risk of surgery. It eases the symptoms of BPH, namely acute urine retention, weak urine flow and the need for frequent urination.
Dutagen 0.5mg is classified as a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor. Doctors may use this drug by itself or with other drugs to treat a patient suffering from BPH. Medical research also shows that it can be used by men to treat male pattern baldness or alopecia.
Dosage and Administration
Dutagen 0.5mg is a prescription drug and hence you will need to see a doctor before you take it. The general recommended dose is 1 tablet daily, but this could vary depending on your symptoms and condition.
The capsule should be swallowed whole with water and should not be split, chewed, crushed or dissolved. It does not need to be taken with food. The treatment period for this drug is usually 3 to 6 months for it to be completely effective.
Dutagen 0.5mg (Dutasteride) has some side effects, but these are not normally a cause for concern. They are:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Decreased libido / sex drive
- Decreased semen during intercourse
- Breast enlargement / tenderness
- Difficulty in ejaculation
These symptoms need medical attention only if they worsen over time, or persist.
Symptoms that can be of serious concern are:
- Peeling of the skin
- Lumps in the breast
- Nipple discharge
While these symptoms are rare, if you develop them, they need immediate medical attention.
Before taking Dutagen 0.5mg you will need to advise your doctor if you:
- Are allergic to any medication
- Have any other existing medical conditions
- Are taking any other medication, vitamins or supplements
You must also bear in mind that you should not:
- Stop treatment without a proper consultation with your doctor
- Donate blood for at least 6 months from the day that you finish your treatment so that a pregnant woman is not given your blood that contains this drug.
This is an adult male centric drug. It is not prescribed for women. Pregnant women or women trying to conceive should not touch these capsules as the medicine gets absorbed through the skin. It is fatal for the fetus.
Drug interactions with Dutasteride:
- Medication for high blood pressure like Verapamil or Diltiazem could increase the chances of side effects of this drug
Medication for HIV (Indinavir or Ritonavir) for fungal infections (Ketaconazole or Itraconazole) and antidepressant like Nefazodone all increase the chances of side effects.