Trazonil 50mg is used to treat those who suffer from depression and suffer from anxiety and panic disorders. It also offers relief to some forms of chronic pain and since it has a sedating effect it helps patients who suffer from insomnia. Trazodone hydrochloride which is the active ingredient in this medicine helps to increase the serotonin in the brain that is necessary to help maintain mental balance.
Dosage and Administration
Trazonil 50mg has to be taken only under a doctorÍs supervision. Usually you are asked to take it twice a day but again it depends on the condition of the patient and what the doctor deems necessary. Since it is possible to suffer from severe withdrawal symptoms and sometimes even a relapse in the condition, it is important that the medication is not stopped abruptly without consulting the doctor.
It is advisable to take the tablet with a glass of water and in order to prevent a tummy upset it should not be taken on an empty stomach. If taken at the same time every day, chances of forgetting are few. Doctors normally start Trazonil on a low dose before gradually raising the dosage.
Trazonil 50mg does have some side effects like:
- Dry mouth
- Muscle pain
- Decrease in sex drive or performance
- Blurred vision
Some of the more serious side effects that some patients could suffer from are:
- Problems urinating
- Irregular heartbeat
Since Trazonil causes drowsiness, it is important that the person taking these tablets should not drive or do any job that needs an alert mind like operating heavy and complicated machinery. Other precautions to be taken are:
- Consumption of alcohol is not allowed.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should be careful.
- The doctor should be told about any drug allergies
- It is important that you mention any medication you are taking, any supplements or herbal medicines.
- If you notice any rash, hives, swelling or chest tightness, visit the doctor.
Drug Interactions with Trazodone Hydrochloride:
- Decrease in the effect of the anticoagulant warfarin.
- With lithium there is an increased risk of serotonin syndrome and neurotoxicity.
- The level of sedation will increase if taken with other sedatives, antihistamines and alcohol.
- If any MAOIs are taken with Trazodone hydrochloride, the results could be fatal.